As of a couple days ago, I am 15 weeks pregnant. Yay! Here are some things I am happy about this week:
- I finished reading Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding (this is after finishing Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth a week or two ago.) I highly recommend both of these books to anyone exploring their options for childbirth and/or who are interested in breastfeeding. Whether you want a natural childbirth like I do or not, I believe Ina May can truly help you feel like your body is strong and powerful, and not to be afraid of labor. I felt so empowered after reading these books. They are two of the best I have read so far during my pregnancy (particularly the childbirth book.)
- I am grateful that I was not raised to fear childbirth. This is something Ina May Gaskin mentions in the childbirth book I referenced above — the fact that we as a society, through stories from woman to woman as well as the media, have made childbirth out to be something we should be terrified of. I remember my mom used to tell me that childbirth is not like it is in the movies, with women screaming and writhing in agony. (Now I don’t mean to offend you if your experience was like this, and I know everyone is different.) But the point is that stuck with me, and I have never grown up being afraid of having a baby. All I felt was that sure, it will hurt, but the end result is amazing and so worth it. I am so grateful I was not raised to fear this experience.
- My husband and I are going on one of our twice-a-year shamanic/spiritual retreats this weekend. The location has been moved to one that’s only one hour away instead of about four, and that makes me very happy. I’m also looking forward to seeing some of my friends who are part of the group and spending a weekend that always leaves me feeling very grounded and refreshed.
- My husband and I are a unified team. We ran into some conflict this week with his sister, which I don’t want to get into on here. She is wonderful and I love her, but it was a rough day. I’m so grateful that my husband and I are consistently on the same page when it comes to the big things in life.
- I can feel my uterus. I just realized this last night. Up until then I’d been wondering, what the heck does a uterus feel like? Well, it feels firm. I started at my bellybutton, pushing down and feeling the softness of my flesh and the organs beneath. Then, continuing to poke and push, I moved my fingers down and down until they were three or four inches below my bellybutton. All of a sudden, the texture changed. It’s pretty amazing.
- We have our next appointment with the midwife group Monday morning at 8:30. I can’t wait! I hope we can hear the baby’s heartbeat on the Doppler for the first time that day; we should be able to.
- We made an appointment at one of those early gender-ID ultrasound places and are going next Saturday, August 28! We will be 16.5 weeks then. I hope they get the baby’s gender right, but we can definitely confirm at our 20-week anatomy scan ultrasound through the midwife group. Someone I work with recommended this ultrasound place to me, and they have a great accuracy rate and all their ultrasound techs have at least 10 years of experience. We can’t wait, because our family thinks we are not going to find out the gender until late September. Boy, are they in for a surprise on Saturday!
- Next Tuesday is my birthday! That’s right! I will be 28.
- September 6 is Hubby’s birthday! He will be 32.
- Just because I feel like I can’t stop at number nine, hmmm…well, I bought some monkey onesies at Target yesterday because I just couldn’t resist them! They are so tiny and cute.
Life is so good right now. I am so happy and thankful. I hope you are all having a great week.